As a Hospitality Homes guest, you will be carefully matched with a trained host who will provide you with a clean and comfortable place to sleep and access to a bathroom. Hospitality Homes hosts do not provide meals or transportation. Most live in areas with access to public transportation (subway or buses).
Who is eligible to be a guest?
- Lives more than 50 miles from the hospital.
- Has a permanent home to return to after his/her stay.
- Is an important support person for the patient.
- Is not likely to put the host family at risk.
Please note: Hospitality Homes requires all patients staying in a host home to be accompanied by another guest. Hospitality Homes allows a maximum of 4 guests per night in a volunteer host home. Patients must also be seen at the hospital at least once per week to be considered in active medical treatment. If you cancel your stay after we have arranged to place you with a host family, you may be subject to a cancellation fee of $25.00.
The Application/Placement ProcESS
Here is a visual guide to the application process, which is also delineated in the text below:
- You will need to complete an application for housing, either online or by calling us at 888.595.4678 and speaking with a member of our staff
- If you complete the application online, a Hospitality Homes staff member will call you to confirm that we have received it. At this time, any missing or additional information we need to assist us in your placement will be requested. This is also an opportunity for you to ask questions about the program.
- We will then call each personal reference you provide. If we are not successful in getting a response after three attempts, we will ask you to provide a new reference. In order to expedite the reference check and the processing of your application, we suggest that you:
- Notify each reference in advance, provide some information about Hospitality Homes, and explain why we will be calling.
- Ask each reference to call Hospitality Homes directly.
- We will contact you to reconfirm your need for housing after all references are cleared. Before sending your housing request to our host families, we will ask you to provide credit/debit card information. In the event that you cancel your stay after we have made arrangements to place you with a host family, we will charge a $25.00 cancellation fee against the card. Cancellations due to rescheduled hospital appointments, medical complications, transportation issues, or other factors outside your control will not be subject to this charge.
- Although you may submit an application at any time, our host families often can't confim their plans until closer to your arrival date. We do our best to confirm your housign placement between 2 weeks and 1 month before your arrival.
- Placing you with a host family may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. As soon as we find housing for you, we will call you and provide the host’s name, phone number, address, and approximate distance from the host home to your treatment facility. It will then be your responsibility to call the host directly and make arrangements for your arrival. If we are not able to match you with a host, we will refer you to other housing options in the area.
- When you arrive at your host’s home, you will receive a Guest Welcome Packet that includes a donation envelope. We suggest a donation of $25.00 a night.
- If, during your stay, you would like to share your story with us and/or are interested in meeting our staff or keeping in touch go to our blog.
Please note: Our online application is a secure form. Because we have added security to the document to protect your information, your web browser may ask you to approve the use of the security certificate. If prompted, choose "yes" to proceed. If an additional box appears prompting you to choose a digital certificate, click on "ok."